Sunday, October 4, 2015

Wear Baju Kurung in a Foreign Country

Baju kurung is a traditional costume for Malay women in Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. Consisting of a long, loose blouse that goes to your hips, and a long skirt with pleats on one side, baju kurung is normally worn during Eid, on Fridays, to weddings, or some formal events. It is made compulsory for girls in most government schools and is also one of the approved attires for civil servants, regardless of ethnicity.

When I was in school and college, I used to wear it everyday, and grew accustomed to it. I did not once feel inconvenienced by the loose fit and the long flowing skirt. But as I left college, I wore it less and less, and now it's reduced to only once a year during Eid.

When traveling I usually opt to wear something that blends in with the locals. I would wear Javanese batik in Indonesia, for example, or a longyi in Myanmar, partly because it somehow makes my travels feel more wholesome when I immerse myself in the local culture, and partly because I feel safer when I don't stand out like a sore thumb in a foreign place.

In 2015, I decided to do something different. My trip to London coincided with Eid al-Adha, and although I don't celebrate, I just thought it would be nice to send my mom a picture of myself in London wearing the baju kurung she sewed for me.







I think it is also a great way of showing that I'm proud of who I am, my traditions and my culture. (Please note that I didn't mention religion.) Some people looked at me weird, but most didn't even bat an eye. No one discriminated me because of it, but none complimented me either. Perhaps London is multicultural enough to be able to accept differences. I will try this social experiment in a more closed and homogeneous community and see if I could get a positive reaction.