Saturday, October 3, 2015

Curl My Hair

My hair is naturally straight and sometimes slightly wavy, depending on the weather, humidity and a multitude of other factors that my hair takes into account when it tries to decide whether to behave or not to behave for the rest of the day. Sometimes I would wake up with photo-worthy waves. Most of the time though, it is just frizzy and all over the place like I had just walked through a thunderstorm.

My hair on a good day
My hair on a not-so-good day

I'm not very adventurous with hairstyles. It had been the same style for years, varying only in length. There was only one time that I cut it short, for a play that required it.


Apart from that I never had anything done to my hair except coloring.

I have always been a fan of big, voluminous hair that makes a statement. When stick-straight hair was all the craze, I harbored dreams of getting curls. Crazy wild curls that could stop traffic because they block people's view.

2015: So one day I went to a cheap salon to get a perm. I chose the cheaper chemical, because that's just how my life is.

It looked pretty complicated, the whole process, rolling the hair section by section, and I ended up with about thirty of those rollers on my head. Then came the chemicals and the hours of flipping through magazines to kill time.

As suggested by the stylist, I only got curls on the bottom half of my hair. In retrospect, I wish I had curled all, because it looked kind of weird to have limp straight hair on top and springy curls at the bottom. Anyhow, I liked how the curls finally turned out--made me look almost Latina (my own opinion; nobody seems to agree, except one waiter in Venice). However my hair was totally fried. Oh, I forgot to mention that I had just colored it two weeks prior.

Now I can get rid of my combs and hairbrushes. It's just wash and air-dry. Sometimes I look at the mirror and see a poodle, sometimes it's glorious curls. My hair still has a mind of its own--that, I suppose, will never change.

Poodle