Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Get A Brazilian Wax

No you're not gonna see the before-and-after picture. Sorry.

Brazilian wax differs from bikini wax in that it involves complete removal of hair from the buttocks and adjacent to the anus, perineum and vulva. Brazilian wax is also known as a full bikini wax, Hollywood wax, or the Sphinx, named after the naked breed of cat. (Wikipedia)

2016: A quite well-known waxing studio had just opened a new branch near my house. And they were having a promotion for first-timers to get a Brazilian soft wax for only RM29 (N/P RM100++). It was RM288 in KLCC. So I made an appointment.

And then I started to get nervous. It was not about having a stranger poke and prod at my private parts, that's nothing new. I was more scared of the pain. I had read several blogs that shared about their first times doing the wax, and they seemed unanimous about one thing: don't go there sober. There was one mother of two who had survived labor pain twice, but still teared up when she had her first Brazilian wax.

So, I took the advise to heart. Thirty minutes before my appointment, I downed half a bottle of red. Being tipsy in the morning reminded me of my teenage years. I hoped they wouldn't smell it on my breath or see the telltale stain on my teeth and lips, or else what kind of impression would I make! Some drunkard who had been drinking through the night and early morning.

After registration, I was asked if I had to use the bathroom. Of course I did, the wine was making my bladder full. Then they gave me a wet wipe to clean myself with, and asked me to undress from the waist down. I covered myself with a towel.



The "waxpert" was polite and friendly, we chatted for awhile as she prepped me up. It didn't feel very awkward; I find it more so when a dentist tries to have a conversation with me while doing my scaling. She then slathers the warm wax on my skin, and before I realized what was happening, rip, rip, RIPPP!! Oh. My. God. Slather, rip, repeat. For about half an hour. There were some parts that were more sensitive than the rest, and hurt like a motherf*****. My original plan was to opt out of the full Brazilian and instead choose a design, perhaps a love shape, or my partner's initials. I waited for the waxpert to ask me if I wanted to have any design but she never did. So, full Brazilian it was.

Personally I think the result was not that much different from normal shaving, except that when you shave yourself, you are bound to miss a spot or two. But that's better than having to deal with pimples the day after, which according to them, was quite normal considering that I had sensitive and acne-prone skin. Asked whether I'd want to do it again, umm, nope. Unless they have really cheap promos.