Saturday, April 6, 2019

Eat Portuguese Egg Tart in Portugal

It's just one of those things that you do when you visit Portugal; it wasn't because I was a really big fan of egg tarts or anything. So, as a result, I wasn't able to tell if this egg tart I had in Portugal was any better than the ones in other countries. Sure, I had tried it once in Macau, and maybe a few other times in my own country, but to be honest, they kind of taste the same to me.


I had this one in Barcelinhos, after having walked 27 kilometers from Mosteiro de Vairao. It was close to 7 p.m. The last meal I had was a sandwich before noon, and I had been walking non-stop since. So I was starved and exhausted. While waiting for them to prepare my dinner, I ordered one of those egg tarts, or as they called it, pastel de nata. I had seen many pastelarias in Porto; it was teeming with them, but I was always too full to have dessert. Plus, I thought I'd wait till I started my camino, as food would probably be cheaper and better in the countryside.

Well, Barcelinhos wasn't exactly 'countryside', but like I said, I was hungry, and dinner was taking too long. While the egg tart wasn't disappointing, it wasn't impressive either. I could easily get one of the same quality back in Kuala Lumpur. Maybe I'd have to try the freshly baked homemade tarts to really taste the difference.