Sunday, August 26, 2018

Cook a Traditional Dish of a Different Culture

Since I started learning to cook a few years ago, I have always been more inclined to cook international dishes (especially Western), as opposed to Malaysian food. That's because Malaysian food is available everywhere around me and at a cheap price too. In fact, I think it's cheaper to buy it ready-made than to stock up my kitchen with all the right leaves and herbs and spices to make a Malaysian dish that doesn't even taste half as good as the ones sold on the streets. Plus, why should I learn to cook it when all I have to do is go to my mom and give her my cutest, most angelic smile?

So, learning to cook Western food makes more sense because they're harder to come by and I get to replicate expensive restaurant meals at a fraction of the price. These are a few of the dishes that I've tried although some may have been tweaked a little as not all of the ingredients are available at my local grocer (at least, not within my price range). 

1. Mexican fried rice (Mexican)
Didn't taste as good as the Malaysian version, but I had some kidney beans to finish before they went bad, so I tried this recipe.


2. Nacho libre (Mexican)
This dish is definitely a people pleaser. I don't think I've ever come across anyone who doesn't like to snack on nachos.


3. Guinataan chicken adobo (Filipino)
Adobo is the national food of the Philippines. Almost similar to Malaysian ayam masak kicap, but contains black pepper, bay leaves, no ginger, and uses vinegar instead of tamarind. Guinataan is simply adobo with added coconut milk, which I think makes it yummier.


4. Ratatouille (French)
Originating in Nice, France, this is a healthy vegetable dish that can be eaten on its own or with bread, although I did add some sausages too because I embrace my omnivorism.



5. Green curry (Thai)
Thai food is simply my favorite, and green curry tops the list. This was cooked using a premade paste sold in a jar, so there was some cheating there.


6. Chili con carne (Mexican)
Another Mexican staple. It's supposed to contain chili peppers as the main ingredient (hence the name), but I forgot to buy the Mexican chili so I used a local substitute instead and added paprika. Tasted like the one in Wendy's so I guess it wasn't so bad.