Saturday, February 3, 2018

Run an Ultra Marathon

2017: I don't know if this counts as an ultra marathon, because it was actually a racewalking event. So, technically, I didn't 'run' it, although the distance certainly qualifies as an ultra.

It was a 12-hour long event, beginning at 8 p.m. on a Saturday evening, and ending at 8 the following morning. Food was provided every 3 hours. Free flow water and isotonic drinks were available all night long. Participants could even set up camp at the designated area if they wished to rest or catch some sleep.

Selection of winners was based on the total distance covered within the stipulated time. I stopped after 10 hours, because my legs could no longer cope, and because I had to go to work.

To qualify as a finisher, one had to walk a minimum of 40 km (for women) or 50 km (for men)

21st place