Monday, August 22, 2016

Try Stand-Up Paddling

Stand-up paddle boarding (SUP) is a sport originating in Hawaii as an offshoot of surfing. Unlike traditional surfing where the surfer sits until a wave comes, stand up paddle boarders maintain an upright position while using a paddle to move through water. Perfect if you wanna train to be a gondola rower.

2016: SUP is gaining more and more popularity in Southeast Asia; I have seen paddle board rentals on a few occasions during my travels in Indonesia and Thailand. The most recent was in Koh Tao, Thailand. The company is called SUP Tao, and they provided rentals at the rate of THB200 for one hour during sunset, with some basic lessons for beginners.

The instructor told me how to position myself on the board. Basically you can kneel, stand or sit on it, or just use the board as a floating device and lie down on it. Rowing perpendicular to the oncoming waves is easier than parallel to them. That was all I needed to know basically. The waves at Sairee Beach were not that strong, but with no life jacket, and my questionable swimming skills, it was quite frightening at first, especially when going against the waves. Water got on the board, threatening to sink me. For a split second the front half was submerged in water. But I talked myself out of my paranoia, reasoning that there was no way this board could sink. It might capsize, or I might fall but even if I did, I could hold on to the board to keep myself afloat and then hoist myself back onto it. That's assuming I didn't get separated from my board. Unlike a traditional surfboard, this doesn't have anything to attach you to it. But the water was quite calm, so I didn't worry too much.

I started off just kneeling on the board. After awhile and further out to the sea, the water was calmer and I got more confident. I tried several sitting positions to find the most comfortable one. Sitting cross-legged, or with my legs splayed apart, feet dangling on both sides of the board. I could understand why people do yoga on paddle boards. It's serene and therapeutic out there. Just you bobbing on the water, with the sea breeze and the sun. The sounds from the land are so faint, and so are your worries.

The current was pushing me to the shore however, so I had to keep on paddling to maintain my position. There were a few other paddle boarders around. I talked to one of them and he offered to keep my board steady for me so I could stand up. I did as he told and managed to stay upright for a few seconds before losing my balance. Tried several more times on my own but it always ended the same. I could stand on it, but as soon as I started to paddle, I would topple forward. Luckily I never fell off the board. The water wasn't deep but there were corals. It would have hurt to fall on them. I reckon I will need to develop some wicked core strength in order to keep my balance on the board and paddle it at the same time.