Saturday, February 3, 2018

Wear a Sari and Bindi

2017: I wore a sari to my childhood friend's wedding. The sari was borrowed from another friend, because saris are too expensive to buy. She's a sari enthusiast so I had many to choose from. I settled on a red and gold one. It was glam without making me look like a Christmas tree. I also bought matching earrings, bangles and a stick-on bindi.

A sari consists of a tight-fitting midriff-baring blouse, and an unstitched length of fabric measuring from 5.5 to 9 yards in length that you have to drape around yourself to form the skirt and the top part that goes over one shoulder.

You need to have a petticoat on, so that you can pin the lower part of the sari onto it, but of course, I didn't know this, so I only wore leggings instead. I think it worked just fine.

You also need A LOT of pins. Most of our safety pins broke because they were too small and the sari pleats were thick.

There are several ways to drape a sari. Naturally I went for the easiest one. It looked simple enough on YouTube when I watched it the first time, and I thought I had it down pat. But when the big day arrived, it took me 3 hours. I was nearly in hysterics, and still the sari didn't look quite right.

In the end I had to ask the doorwoman at the wedding to help me with it. She felt sorry for me (I put on my sorriest face) and took me into a changing room where she re-draped my sari. I am forever indebted to her.

I love the sari; I think it looks very sexy and elegant, but I can't imagine how people can wear it the whole day and even go to work in it.