Monday, July 9, 2018

Attend a Wedding of a Different Culture

We were next-door neighbors. She was my first best friend and partner in crime. Left alone, we would be up to all sorts of mischief around the neighborhood, sometimes our parents had to keep us away from each other.

When she was five and I was six, my mom and I had to move to another state 350 kilometers away. I didn't tell her we were moving away because I wanted to save it till the last day. But on our last day, I didn't get to say goodbye because she was still at school when we left. I cried in the car. I kept wondering if she ever missed me.

Fast forward to 20 years later. Everybody had Facebook. One day, she suddenly crossed my mind and I decided to look her up. There were several people with the same name but I recognized her right away. She was surprised to receive a message from me. We both agreed that we should meet up, but we never did.

Last year she sent me an invitation to her wedding. I was so excited about it because 1) I'd get to see my friend again after more than twenty years, and 2) I'd get to attend an Indian wedding for the first time.

I borrowed a sari from another Indian friend. After a three-hour struggle with the sari, plus a lot of cursing, and with the help from someone at the door of the wedding hall, I finally managed to look decent enough, although I had to check every few minutes to make sure the skirt hadn't come loose.

Originally, my friend had invited me and my mom, but because my mom was unable to attend, I came with my partner instead. We were seated at the VIP table with the bridesmaids. As the girls noisily chattered and laughed among themselves, my partner and I awkwardly passed the time by eating all the peanuts served at the table.

Suddenly the bridesmaids left the table, and the music started playing. There was a little fuss as people stood up to get a better view of the hall entrance. And then there she was, the bride, slowly walking in, flanked by her family members. She had a veil over her face. I felt inexplicably happy and proud to see my childhood friend walk down the aisle and cross the threshold of another important chapter of her life.


Following that was the religious ceremony that took place on stage. I couldn't really see what was going on because the bride and groom were sitting on the floor and surrounded by people. Some time later, food was served. The bride and groom went to the back to change into another set of clothes. 

Due to our VIP status, instead of having to get up to get food from the buffet tables, we were served by waiters at ours. Most of the evening, we had the table to ourselves because the bridesmaids were busy attending to the bride.

The newlyweds then reappeared on stage for the photo session. We queued up to get our photos taken with them. My friend looked so pretty up close.


Before leaving, I took a selfie with the mother of the bride and said hi to the rest of the family. Her two elder brothers who used to tease and annoy me all those years ago are handsome hunks now.


I didn't get to talk to my friend much because she was busy entertaining other guests. We continue keeping in touch through Facebook. I guess that's how adult friendship works these days. The only only way to keep it alive is over the internet.

Us, then and now: