Sunday, May 13, 2018

Inhale the Laughing Gas

Nitrous oxide (N2O), or its popular name: the laughing gas, is commonly used in dental clinics as an anesthetic. I've never had any dentist use it on me, but it doesn't sound like a very smart idea, does it?How is he supposed to get any work done on the teeth if the patient can't stop laughing?

At room temperature, the gas is colorless and non-flammable, with a slightly sweet taste and smell. It is also used in restaurants to prepare whipped cream. Now that explains why I always feel happy after eating whipped cream.

As a recreational drug, it is often served in a balloon. It is legal in many countries, or rather, has not been made illegal. This is due to its minimal side effects. The intoxication only lasts for several seconds, and overdose cases are very rare.


I tried it in 2016, in Vang Vieng, the backpacker's capital of Laos. My partner and I went to this little cafe that sold 'happy' things. They had happy omelet, happy pancake, happy pizza, happy coffee--you name it. We were buying a slice of space brownie to take away. While waiting for them to prepare the brownie, I decided to try the happy balloon. Earlier that day, I had a mushroom shake at the same cafe and liked the result.

The cafe owner himself came to serve me the balloon. It was yellow, with splashes of color. The gas had to be consumed in the cafe though. I wasn't allowed to bring it back to the hotel room. I don't know if that's because they wanted to reuse the balloon for other customers (yuck, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did).

At first, I only took teeny-weeny sips from the balloon, afraid of the effect, but I didn't feel anything at all. Finally, after a few more failed attempts, I finished the gas in two deep inhalations. The effect hit me immediately but went away just as quickly--I think about 15 seconds, tops. I liked how fast it was, unlike the magic mushroom that made you wait and wait and wait and suddenly bam, hallucinations! This was milder and more pleasant--a sudden rush of euphoria. It didn't make me laugh, but I was smiling so wide, my cheeks hurt.

As I later watched videos of people inhaling the gas, I realized I was supposed to pinch my nose, so that no gas could escape. Oh well. Nevertheless, I managed to get a taste of the happy balloon.

Before
After




Warning: High doses of the substance may cause negative physical and psychological effects, such as Vitamin B12 deficiency, anemia, anxiety and depression. Overdoses, although rare, may be fatal.