Thursday, March 1, 2018

Eat Momo in Nepal

Momo is a type of dumpling that is native to Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan and North Indian regions. According to Wikipedia, momo is similar to Chinese baozi, Mongolian buuz, Japanese gyoza and Korean mandu. I suppose every country has a different name for dumplings although they're essentially the same thing.

Anyway, momo is the most distinctive Nepalese food that I tried during my visit to Kathmandu and Pokhara in 2015. The rest didn't really stand out because they weren't very distinguishable from North Indian food.

Traditionally, momo is made of white flour dough with minced meat filling, combined with coriander, shallot and garlic. Modern variations may contain cheese, tofu, potato, or other vegetables.

Available in restaurants and street stalls, momo can either be steamed or fried, and served with a spicy dip. I prefer steamed because it retains its juiciness.

And what I like most of momo is the shape of the dough. So pretty!