Thursday, June 4, 2015

Get an Article Published

1996: As a small kid, I loved to read children's magazines and submit photos, artwork and stories to be published. My first one was this drawing I made of my classmates. I used a fake name and also lied about my age. (I was 7).


Since then I had had several more of my work featured in magazines and teen websites.

1998: This was a short story when I was 9.




2002: An article on self-esteem for teenagers, when I was 13.


2005: About believing in your dreams. I was 16, in my final year of high school.




I also had a few more articles in the school magazine, but that was about it. I stopped writing as soon as I finished school.

2017: And then one day, I had one of those contemplative moments where I lie in bed asking myself what the f I was doing with my life (believe me, I have a lot of those moments). I was struggling to get out of bed. I hated my job--no I didn't actually hate it, I just got bored with it after two years, like I always did with my previous jobs, so I was trying to ask myself what it was that I was really passionate about, you know, something that I wouldn't mind doing every day.

So I tried to think of what I enjoyed doing when I was little, because you see, they say if you want to know what your passion in life is, you should look back at your younger years--what did you like to do then, when there was no one prompting you or paying you to do it. So I thought, well, I liked to write.

I remembered one of my friends who was an editor of a travel website dedicated to women traveling solo in Asia. She had once asked me if I was interested to contribute contents for the website, to which I had said ya, I would try, and then I forgot all about it. This was two years ago, and now she was no longer an editor there, but I tried my luck anyway and sent in an article.

And guess what, they liked it! These are the articles that were published online: