Saturday, April 11, 2015

Act On Stage

I have acted on stage several times in high school and college. No photos available though. But the biggest I have done so far is "Oh Dad Poor Dad, Mamma's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad". It was held at KLPac, which is sort of like the national theater but for mostly English and indie plays. I played a pole-dancing piranha.

2009: This was the poster that all cast and crew members helped distribute:


This was taken during a rehearsal, and it was featured in The Star Online:

When my character died

It was really an intricate process learning to be a pole-dancing piranha, you can only imagine! Haha. To most people, it may seem easy because I didn't have to say any line, but having to stand half-naked in my little "aquarium" and act like a fish for hours was.. well, there is no word to describe it. Back-breaking would be close.






When the other actors went backstage during intermission, I the piranha and another two cast members who played the Venus flytraps had to remain onstage and stay in character throughout.



Towards the end of my play, my character was killed with an ax, so I had to free fall to the ground, flop grotesquely and lie there with my eyes open and unblinking for 20 minutes. I think the writer had something against fish.

That was my character, dead.

The three of us unlucky creatures had to come for rehearsals and shows at least one hour earlier than the other cast members, because we needed to get our whole bodies painted. And not to mention the hours spent rubbing baby oil into our skin to remove the paint afterwards. We bought several bottles of baby oil and hair conditioner specially for this purpose.

We won Best Makeup and Costume at the BOH Cameronian Arts Awards. Worth it? Yeap!

Trying to get something to eat while being body-painted

I'm liking it!
Preparing for rehearsal

Mingling with the audience after a night show

Photo shoot session with the crew members