Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Eat Herring

2013: I happened to be in Amsterdam when herring was in season, and I stumbled upon a morning market selling food, flowers, clothes, fresh produce, and a jumble of other stuff. One of the stalls sold fresh herring! I was not even aware at the time that it was a special Dutch delicacy; I just I thought it would be interesting to try. It was served raw, with pickled cucumber and onion. I have this total aversion to onion, and I would normally go to great lengths to get even the tiniest piece out of my plate before I'd start eating. I'd warn my waiter that I'd return the food to the kitchen if it has got onion in it.

For this particular occasion though, I made a special exception, because I thought the onion would make the dish look better in the picture. Of course, I had to separate them before digging in. The taste was not too bad, since I was used to sashimi, but I much preferred salmon.