Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Travel Solo

It was a childhood dream of mine to go abroad and see the world. I wanted to go to the US specifically. Blame TV.

When I was in high school, I was dying with envy when the cool girls from my class went holidaying in London and Paris and Australia and all those 'cold' countries. But I didn't come from a well-to-do family. My mom had never stepped out of Malaysia. So my dream remained a dream.

When I started earning for myself, I figured that if I were to make it happen, I would have to do it on my own.

So in 2010 began my first solo trip to Singapore.


I took an overnight train from Kuala Lumpur, spent the whole day in Singapore then took the overnight train back home. A very short trip but it was an exhilarating experience and I was hooked. Most importantly, it convinced myself that I didn't need anyone to come along and make things happen for me.

I then went to Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and the rest of Southeast Asia


Sometimes I would just stay in hostels, sometimes I would Couchsurf, and sometimes I had friends to stay with.



Traveling solo is never a lonely experience. There are always a lot of interesting people just waiting to meet you. Strangers are after all, friends you have not yet met. But of course you also have the option to be alone, if you so wish.



Now 2015, I've traveled solo to over 20 countries...and counting.



2017: 30 countries.

2018: 35 countries.