Thursday, April 2, 2015

Visit the Angkor Wat

2011: I visited Siem Reap solo and took a day pass to Angkor Wat.

I could pass for a Cambodian

Hired a tuk-tuk for USD12 for the whole day, which was quite a bargain, but if I had had more experience as a traveler, I really would have just rented a bike.

Me in a tuk-tuk

It was true what they said about the temples: you should visit the smaller ones first, because Angkor Wat is so grand that if you visit it first, the rest of the temple visits will pale in comparison, and you just can't wait for it to be over, which was what I felt.

Me at Bayon

Bayon was my favorite, because of the faces carved into stone, but all the other temples, I just could not distinguish the differences among them. I ended the tour halfway, because I really was experiencing temple fatigue. Their beauty was lost on me, I guess.



It was emotionally trying too, because you see a lot of small children selling souvenirs or straight out begging for money, and you know you're not supposed to give any to them. Well there are just so many people you can say no to in one day before it starts to depress you.

I met a Malaysian guy at one of the temples, and we exchanged numbers. Bumping into Malaysians when abroad is something I don't usually enjoy, but this one was a photographer, so it was okay, because I got to be his model for the day.