Saturday, March 7, 2015

Visit an Active Volcano

2011: I visited Mount Bromo in Surabaya in May, only several weeks after it erupted. It was still spewing thick black ash.


How cool is that?




Every now and then as I was climbing up, it would make these thunderous sounds, and a spray of ashes would rain on me.



Apparently there used to be a proper walkway and steps to go up to the crater, but at the time of my visit, they were all buried beneath the ash. I almost had to go on all fours to climb up the slippery slope.


Look at the tiny horse down below

I even managed to look down into the crater, though I couldn't see anything because of the smoke.



Before I had time to descend, it began to rain. Heavily. And because of the ashes in the air, it rained mud! I was drenched and shivering, and when the rain finally subsided, my driver and I found our motorcycle covered with at least half an inch of mud.



Despite all that, it was an exciting adventure.