Monday, April 8, 2019

Wear A Crop Top

There was a time during pre-puberty when I actually prayed for big boobs. I was a late bloomer. While all my friends had started to fill out, I was still short, scrawny and flat. Now, if only I could go back in time, I would have warned my younger self, "Beware what you wish!"

Having big boobs is not at all what it's hyped up to be, especially if they're out of proportion to the rest of your body. If you're apple-shaped, almost all of the fat you have will accumulate around your tummy, arms and boobs. You'll spend your entire life looking overweight. Choosing a dress becomes a nightmare.

I'm a classic example. More often than not, my waistline is bigger than my hips. I'm also short-waisted. And remember those boobs? Well, big boobs sag, which only makes my waist appear shorter. So, as you can imagine, a crop top is not the best choice of outfit for me. Too short, and my boobs would be hanging out. Too long, and you wouldn't see any waist at all.

Fashion websites recommend unfortunate girls like me--if we wanted to wear crop tops--to make sure that our bottoms meet our tops, so that only a tiny sliver of skin peeks out. But then that would defeat the whole purpose, wouldn't it? What's the point of wearing a crop top, if you can't show some skin? I really wanted to show off my belly piercing. I had had it for over a year and it still hadn't had a chance to see the world.

So I started to browse online for the perfect crop top. There were a few that I liked, but I ended up not buying any, for fear that I would look ridiculous in them. What led me to wearing my first crop top was more of an accident. I had this T-shirt that looked awful on me because it was a little too long and too snug around the hip area. So I took out my scissors and cut it shorter so that it would hang just below my waist. Except that I went a little too far, and it became a crop top instead.

Despite my inhibition, I decided to wear it anyway. Besides, I was going to Thailand, where the people are far more open-minded and liberal and do not subscribe to the idea that if you're not pretty enough, you'd better keep everything under wraps.

So here are some (edited) pictures of me on Railay Beach, pairing the crop top with a pair of shorts.


Oops, forgot to hold my tummy in
Now that's better