Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Drink Ceylon Tea in Ceylon

Ceylon is the former name of Sri Lanka, an island country situated off the south-eastern coast of India. It is well-known for its beaches, nature, and tea! I took a train from Kandy to Ella, an 8-hour journey, and I saw tea plantations everywhere throughout the journey. In Ella, I got to see the tea leaves up close. Nobody guarded the plantations so I plucked a few leaves just to smell them. I hope they didn't mind. (Both the owners and the leaves). They (the leaves) didn't have any distinct smell; they'd have to be roasted before smelling like the leaves in your tea bags.

I didn't find the taste very distinctive either. Then again, I can't even tell English Breakfast from normal black tea, or Darjeeling. And I call myself a tea drinker. I should be ashamed, really. But to be fair, Lipton tea is from Sri Lanka, and I grew up drinking Lipton. That's why I no longer see anything special about it. So I guess I should be asking myself: why am I even writing this post? Oh well, I just want to let you know that I drank Ceylon tea in Ceylon. That's something, right? So there.