Monday, August 3, 2015

Be a Tourist in My Own City

I have a world map on my wall that I regularly find myself staring at, with awe and amazement, at how vast the world is, how many more places that I wish to see. I often pore through my friends' posts of their holiday pictures abroad, and sometimes I stalk strangers' photos too, for inspiration. We are often so intrigued by faraway places that it is too easy to take for granted the ones around us. I have worked in the Twin Towers for 5 years and I have never taken any picture with them in the background. Nor have I ever been on the Skybridge. If my foreign friends asked me how many days they should spend in Kuala Lumpur, I would say one or two should be enough. Better yet, skip it altogether and go to Thailand instead.

2015: Recently though, I met some travelers on the road, and we started talking about places they had been in Southeast Asia. Surprisingly for me, several of them actually said they loved Malaysia, even before they found out I was from there. Perhaps, seen from a visitor's eyes, Malaysia has plenty to offer after all. And the twin towers are actually quite impressive, if you don't go to the toilets. Here are pictures from when my friends and I did the touristy things in Kuala Lumpur: